Elections and Nominations
View meeting schedule, agenda and minutes.
The Senate is composed of 116 members as follows:
- the present and former Chancellors
- the president and vice-presidents of the university
- the Minister of Advanced Education and the Deputy Minister
- principals of federated and affiliated colleges, deans or acting deans of colleges, and such other deans of academic and student affairs and such directors as nominated by the president and approved by the Senate
- 14 electoral district members
- 14 members-at-large
- six undergraduate students and one graduate student
- representatives of professional societies, groups or organizations in the province which in the opinion of the Senate contribute in a significant way to the social, economic and cultural welfare of the Province and have a demonstrated interest in furthering the goals of higher education and research at the university
14 senate members are elected by the Convocation to represent electoral districts established by the Senate.
The senate is the university’s window on the province and the province’s window on the university. Under The University of Saskatchewan Act, 1995, Senate is responsible for:
- approving admission requirements and quotas (on the recommendation of council);
- recommendations regarding the establishment or disestablishment of any college, school, or department;
- appointing examiners for and making bylaws respecting the conduct of examinations for professional societies;
- the granting of honorary degrees; and
- non-academic student discipline
The senate responsibilities, procedures and regulations are outlined in the Senate Bylaws.
Nominations for honorary degree recipients are accepted year-round and will be reviewed by the Senate honorary degrees committee.
Senate Orientation normally takes place the morning of the Fall Senate meeting.
2018-19 Inaugural Senate Forum
Cannabis Conundrum: Insights and Perspectives
December 4, 4-6 pm
High Up Above Room
Holiday Inn Express East-University
2nd Annual Senate Forum 2019
2019 SENATE FORUM
Climate Change: Realities
October 16, 2019, 4-6 pm
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Saskatoon East – University
High Up Above Room